Place case (A) against bottom board and push down (may be tight) until flush with bottom board. Attach case (A) with screws (I) pressing down on case to keep the case flush with bottom board (*bees will use gaps) (Fig. 1)
To remove case, loosen screws, lift and pull. (Fig. 2)
To add food/pollen substitutes or medications, place them into drawer with solid insert (D).
HIVE BEETLE DRAWER MONITOR:
Currently experimental: mix ¼ tsp apple cider vinegar with ¼ tsp hardened vegetable oil and spread on base of hive beetle drawer (H). Check periodically for presence of hive beetles.
*THIS IS NOT FOR VARROA MITE MONITORING
Installation:- Ensure bottom board is precisely aligned with brood box. Misalignment may create gaps between ProtectaBEE™ and hive entrance.
- Ideally, add cones first thing in morning or night when bees are not flying. If added when bees are flying it will take 1-2 hours to orient to the new entrance.
- Add powders for bee vectoring only after more than 24 hours after the cone inserts have been installed.
- Drawers, inserts and case can be hand-washed with soap and water.
- Tilt hive forward to ensure water moves off top of the ProtectaBEE™.
- Examine under drawers for moisture and clean as necessary.
Removal of Inserts:
- If inserts are not needed for protection, warmth or bee vectoring, remove them for maximum traffic and ventilation.